QUICK FACTS ON TAWANG :
- Languages : Hindi, English, Monpa, Bhoti.
- Local Tribe : Monpa.
- Distance from Closet Airport : Guwahati (543 Kms)
- Nearest Major Railway Station : Guwahati (543 Kms)
- Climate :Mostly cold climate throughout the year with rains from May to August.
- Banks and ATMs : SBI, HDFC, ICICI, Central Bank and Canara Bank.
- Mobile Service : BSNL,Vodafone & Airtel
- Best Time to visit : All seasons, Except Rains (June – August)
TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE : District Tourism Office,Old Market near Telephone exchange
District Tourism Officer : 03794-222567 / 9402477544
Tourist Information Officer : 9402713632/8258911769
DO’S & DONT’S :
- Check up status of Helicopter flight one day in advance from the contact person at Guwahati Airport.
- Ensure that local transportation is arranged, if traveling by Helicopter.
- Ensure that you book hotel accommodation in advance before arriving in Tawang especially in peak tourist season of September to October and March to May.
- Get adequate sunscreen, essential medicines while coming to Tawang.
- Carry medication for motion sickness if traveling by road.
- Ensure that your health is good during trekking and hiking in the Mountains.
- Carry waste bags in the car.
- Do not litter in the Monasteries, Public places, villages, Lakes etc.
- Do not smoke in public places.
- Do not leave for Tawang without Warm Clothes.
- Do not wear Shoes while going inside the main Prayer hall of the Monasteries/Gompas and be respectful while visiting sacred sites.
- Do not take Photographs of Army installations / Prohibited areas without seeking approval of the Army Officers on site.
- Do not go to the Bumla pass without obtaining permit for Bumla that is issued by the DC’s office and countersigned by Army.
- Foreign tourist should not enter into prohibited / Restricted Areas. If there is any doubt, clarify from DC’s office or SP’s Office.
- People with medical condition/history should be cautious while going to Bumla due to it’s altitude, as breathlessness and blood pressure issues may occur for some.
- Do not the frozen lake.
- Do not run in the high altitude.